Making paper lanterns is a great craft to do with your children. It's extremely simple to make with very little items and very little time. They even look great as a hanging decoration for the kids room, decorating your patio or as a centerpiece for a party honoring the Fourth of July or any other celebration! The possibilities are endless. And because you can find these items around your house, it also saves money, which in this day and age, is a great thing!
Here's what you'll need:
- Stapler, tape or glue
- Paper, colored construction paper or gift wrapping paper works just fine
Lets get started!
- Take one piece of paper and fold it in half lengthwise making a long, thin rectangle. Fold the edges back by a 1/2 inch for the rims. OPTIONAL: Glue a piece of colorful ribbon around the rim to make a neat trim.
- Cut the paper from bottom to top along the fold line, but DON'T cut all the way to the top.
- Unfold the paper and staple, tape or glue the short edges together to form a circle.
- Either take a string and attach it to the top of the lantern, or cut a strip of paper, the same kind you used for the lantern itself, and attach that instead.
That's it, you're done! If you'd like, you can make a bunch of lanterns in different colors and sizes and string them all together on colorful string or pretty seam binding.