|Year after year gardening continues to be one of the most popular hobbies, and this fun activity can be richly rewarding and a great deal of fun. As with any other pastime, however, it is important to have the right tools before getting started. Having the right tools for the job is an important part of gardening, and any well stocked garden shed should include these top 10 must have tools and supplies.
- A Garden Hoe From tilling the soil to weeding the garden, a hoe has many uses, and this most basic of all garden tools should be part of the arsenal of any aspiring gardener. Garden hoes are available in a wide range of sizes, styles and colors, including some that are specially designed to help gardeners avoid back problems.
- A Top Quality Rake A good rake is an essential part of any garden shed, and a quality rake can last for many seasons. From cleaning up leaves to cleaning up the garden, a good rake will find many things to do throughout the entire growing season.
- A Spade Shovel It goes without saying that at some point the gardener will need to dig in the soil, and a spade shovel is just the tool to get the job done. A spade is designed to break the soil efficiently, without damaging tender roots or surrounding plants. Every garden shed should contain a good quality spade shovel designed for hard use.
- A Flat Shovel While a spade shovel is the ideal tool for breaking ground and planting trees and shrubs, it is not appropriate for other uses. Gardeners will also want to invest in a good quality flat shovel for spreading mulch and performing other common garden task. As with any garden tool, quality is essential, and all shovels, hoes and rakes should be stored in a clean and dry location to avoid problems with rust.
- Garden Gloves Gardening is a fun and fascinating hobby, but it can be murder on the hands. A good pair of gardening gloves will protect the gardeners hands from thorns and sharp sticks, as well as the inevitable cuts and scrapes that come with the hobby. Many gardeners prefer to use lightweight cloth gardening gloves, while others will also want a good set of leather garden gloves for those really tough jobs.
- A Kneeling Pad Gardening can be just as tough on the knees as on the hands, and gardeners need to take steps to minimize any damage to their joints. Investing in a quality kneeling pad is a great way to make laborious jobs such as weeding and planting more comfortable. It is a good idea for gardeners to try out several different styles in order to find the type that is most comfortable and most effective.
- A Hand Trowel While a lot of work can be done using large tools like shovels, hoes and rakes, there are some instances where only a hand tool will do. A selection of hand tools is important for any gardener, and one of the most important of those hand tools is the garden trowels. Garden trowels come in a wide variety of styles, and many gardeners like to purchase a selection in order to be prepared for any job.
- A Bulb Planter Bulbs are a staple of many gardens, and a bulb planter can cut the work involved with planting these wonderful flowers at least in half. It is essential that bulbs be planted at the correct depth and at the right spacing, and a bulb planter makes this task a great deal easier. Any gardener considering planting bulbs should invest in a quality bulb planter.
- Flower Pots No garden shed would be complete without a selection of flower pots, and gardeners should strive to use the best quality pots they can find. It is important to consider issues such as size and drainage capacity when choosing which pots to use for which plants, and having a wide variety of sizes on hand will ensure that there is an appropriate sized flower pot available for any type of garden plant.
- A Collection of Seed Trays Starting plants and flowers from seeds is a great way for gardeners to save money while gaining additional satisfaction from their chosen hobby. Buying starter packs can be quite expensive compared to the cost of seeds, and a good collection of seed trays can save the thrifty gardener a great deal of money. Any well stocked garden shed should include a variety of seed trays in a host of different sizes and configurations.